Monday, April 6, 2009

Working in the Sun

So what I didn't get around to talking about yesterday was the fun we had on Sunday. Now after you hear what we did you're going to think that I was being sarcastic when I said "fun", but I really did have fun. After all, if you know me then you know that I'm one of those strange people that likes doing things like installing ceiling fans, so this was right up my alley.

First, some background. Kristi, and integral member of the Florida group, or the Florida family as it's usually called, had her birthday this past weekend. Since there are so many of us, we can usually pitch in $10 or so on everyone's birthday and get something pretty substantial (I got $100 worth of Barnes & Nobel gift cards, which was insane). Kristi has made it pretty well know that she hated the bushes sitting out in front of her house, so for her birthday some of the group decided that the best gift would be to let her pick out new plants and then the male half of the group would re-do the garden while the female half did fun birthday stuff with Kristi. As it turned out this was a great idea.

The fun started at 1:30 on Sunday. Kristi had already chosen her plants and where she wanted them, so all we had to do was bring her vision to life. The old bushes ended up coming out so quickly that we ended up cleaning up part of the yard we weren't supposed to! Four short sweaty hours later and the new plants were in, a new boarder was installed, and there was fresh mulch everywhere. 110% better, no question. And, best of all, Kristi was happy. We were all rewarded with showers, cold beer, and excellent BBQ chicken on the grill, courtesy of Grant. Follow all that up with a (somewhat shortened) game of Risk, and it was a pretty awesome day.

For those of you who would like more detail, and some great pictures, I direct you to Grant and Kristi's own blog over at The Florida Gatchel Daily. The little guy is Noah, their 10-month-old son. He's about the cutest baby I've seen, and very well behaved. However, the picture of him about half way down is priceless. Arthur was spraying water on the window as Noah watched, and apparently that was a bad move. Haha, I feel bad about laughing at a crying baby, but it's still funny :). I'm sure there was no lasting trauma.

No comments: