Sunday, April 5, 2009

The Law of the Universe

While there are, of course, many real laws of the universe, there is one in particular that always seems to bite me in the ass. That is the law that if there is something you really want to do, there will always be at least one other thing you really want to do on the exact same day. Usually this happens with things like having two good friends invite you to come to their lake houses on the exact same weekend. Both trips would be awesome, but since no one that I know can split into multiple copies of themselves (yet), you have to pick. This time the law is showing up in the form of a wedding.

For any of you that have not been through this yet, there is a time around the end of college when everyone you know will decide that they need to get married. In the span of about six months you will have to remember that all the women your friends spend time with are now "wives" not "girlfriends". I'm now on the tail end of this marriage spree. Everyone I know is now either married or hopelessly single. Well, hopefully not hopelessly single, at least for my sake. But, of course, of all the dates that could be chosen for weddings, two of the as yet un-joined couples I know have decided to get married on the same day on opposite sides of the country. One is getting married in Vermont, the other in Oregon.

Thankfully, this one was pretty easy. First, I am not in either wedding, which is nice for a change (yay, no tux rental!). Second, I've been planning to go to the Oregon wedding since long before I heard about the Vermont wedding. I like both couples a lot, and both trips would be fun, but I'm happy with my decision. This is especially because I have wanted to go see the pacific northwest for about the last 10 years! The plan, as it stands, is for Jason, Lisa, and myself to attend the wedding on Saturday and then spend the next week touring around Oregon and Washington on our own. To start the week off right, the couple couldn't have chosen a better wedding location! The wedding is taking place at the Timberline Lodge, near the top of Mt.Hood, just east of Portland! You really have to see the lodge to understand what I'm talking about. For anyone who loves mountains (and I have been going through serious mountain withdrawal here in flat Florida), this is about as good as it gets. If the lodge looks at all familiar to you, that's because it was used as the exterior for the Overlook Hotel in "The Shining" (the one with Jack Nicholson, not the miniseries). Even more fun!

I'm not sure where we're going to go after that. I picked up a pacific northwest guidebook with the remains of my birthday Barnes & Nobel money, so I can spend a few weekends finding interesting nooks and crannies to check out. I'm going to be meeting up with Jason and Lisa in Clemson this weekend, so we can do some planning then. Hopefully we'll all find interesting things to do without a horrendous amount of driving. And even if we do spend a large amount of time in the car, the scenery is going to be so awesome that I'm sure I won't mind. If nothing else, I can daydream about the trip while getting through a long Monday morning.

1 comment:

Diana said...

You'll have a blast! Dana and I went to WA state and Canada last summer (you probably remember that) and it was a lot of fun. I'm sure you're really excited! Hopefully we can meet up for brunch/lunch this coming weekend. We'll talk soon.