Sunday, August 30, 2009

Sunday Internet Distractions

If you're anything like me, Sunday is that day that you madly try to get everything that you were going to do during the week done so that you don't become truly behind and you can maintain some feeling of accomplishment before Monday. Of course between loads of laundry and rounds of yard work there's always time for some internet distraction!

Today my main distraction has been "Penn & Teller: Bullshit!". Those of us who are too cheap to pay for Showtime are deprived of getting this show over our old-fashioned moving-picture boxes, but thankfully you can find many episodes online, either through good old YouTube or other places. That last link, which should take you to their episode on the Vatican, is the one that started the whole distraction earlier today, but the show is kind of like potato chips - you can't watch just one.

In case you haven't stumbled across them before, Penn and Teller are fantastic entertainers and magicians that also have strong political and religions beliefs. I'm a particular fan, since their beliefs (they are atheist libertarians) line up pretty darn well with my own. I just don't use as much profanity in my day-to-day life. Bullshit! is their way of highlighting people who hold crazy, scary, or outright dangerous beliefs (they've covered everything from cryptozoology to the IRS to faith healers) and while they may not be "fair and balanced" - heck, they even say they aren't during several episodes - I think they do an excellent job of presenting their views in an educational, if not hilarious, manner. Anyway, watch an episode or two and I'll let them speak for themselves.

Alright, back to that silly "work" I've been putting off.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It was great to catch up today! I have been reading your blog lately, but I just forgot to comment. I'm so glad things are going well for you! You sound really happy! Like you said...we're all going our separate ways, but things are working out for everyone, which is so nice. Your house will be ready so soon! Dana and I would love to come visit- maybe around the first of the year (Jan. or Feb.)? We'll talk later!